Friday, November 26, 2010

Irrational Belief

     The theory of evolution is one of those tiresome myths which serves little purpose save to highlight the gullibility of the American public. A ridiculous hypothesis designed by drunken atheists and popularized by a bum who just happened to have a certain flair for writing. If you have not yet noted it, I am intensely disgusted that this silliness has taken such hold of the minds of the people. It’s hard to understand how an idea with no logical support and less scientific evidence can be touted as the indisputable truth. I say to myself, “How,” I say, “is it possible to blind such a large selection of the population with such a blaringly obvious lie? And how is it possible that this selection includes many individuals with extensive educations and a reasonable level of intelligence?” Honestly, these people have doctorates and master’s degrees, and they still babble like children about their million-year-old fossils.

      However, in an unexpected twist of fate, it appears that these scientists are themselves not convinced that there is any real scientific evidence for this so-called “theory.” But do you know something funny? The fact that there is no proof to support their Darwinian doctrine has absolutely no effect on their implicit faith in it. In fact, there are few people who are actually convinced that there is any real science behind the theory of evolution. They simply do not care. I know this because I checked. Do you know how many copies of Charles Darwin’s On the Origin of Species there are in our entire library district? Not twenty. Not ten. Not even five.

     Two.

     Two copies of what has practically become the Bible for the ignorant masses unfortunate enough to believe it. Two copies of the document which is very bedrock of any scientific knowledge they claim to possess. What this communicates to me is that nobody knows why they believe what they do, and they do not really care either. This saddens me. It saddens me because I like to think that I have some impact on what others believe. I like to think that I can tell people things and they will believe me. I have this little fantasy where if I can maybe get just enough facts or logic experience or whatever, then maybe people will understand. Alas! It is not so. I’ve had to learn this the hard way.

     When a man believes something, in most cases it is not because he thinks it is the logical thing to do. His beliefs are not hinged on reason or the things he has learned from his years of life. He believes simply because he wants to. And that’s the end of the story. There are few other contributing factors. Of course, it would be silly to condemn the entire human race as foolish and irrational. I’m sure there are plenty of people who are truly open-minded. Maybe in Panama. But I am not speaking of the Panamese, if indeed that is what they are called. I am talking about the rest of the world’s population. And the point is that we are not very rational. Of course, there are certain truths we all agree on. For example, you and I both exist. The weather changes and it’s hard to see in the dark. Kittens are adorable. This assortment of facts are of the type which would make it difficult for us to survive if we did not believe them. The basic logical truths that make up reality are usually agreed upon. (By the way, everyone knows there’s a God. They don’t all say so, but they know it in their hearts. I am certain of this) Not to say that there aren’t a few who dispute these things. They are usually known as schizophrenics.

      Sigh. I can process these things intellectually. I can say to myself, “It’s useless, Andrea. It doesn’t matter if you have all the facts or logic or science or experience or whatever in the whole world. Nothing you can ever say or do will convince someone of something he does not want to believe.” On a purely cerebral level, I have no problem with swallowing this unpleasant truth. Subconsciously, however, it is an entirely different story. I just can’t seem to let go of the hope that my logic or facts will have an impact, however small, on the thought process of another human being. What a control freak! Ironic, isn’t it? My advice to you, if you have this problem as well, is to JUST STOP. It’s none of your business if these people believe that once upon a time your ancestors were hairy beasts who picked insects out of each other’s fur and ate them. If they want to be irrational, let them. A friend of mine and I were discussing this. Your job is your own head and your own relationship with God. Get that in order before you go messing with everyone else. In fact, strike that. Don’t go messing with anyone else at all. They’ve made their choices, and you have no responsibility to make sure that they believe what it right.

      But I’ve entirely forgotten the GOOD NEWS! And that is this: just because you cannot change a person’s thoughts or his heart doesn’t mean it can’t be done. People do end up being rational on occasion. And that is because God is sovereign! He can change a man’s heart, and He does sometimes! Maybe He will even use your words to do it. So don’t give up on everybody altogether just because they are a bunch of stubborn dummies. You can still present your logic and facts and experience, but don’t be pushy and especially do not expect your words to change people. I would advise two things: firstly, assiduous prayer. Can’t go wrong with assiduous prayer. And second, you’d better be certain that you’re right before you tell people you are speaking the truth. There’s nothing more humiliating than being proven wrong after staunchly asserting that you were right. I would counsel you to search Scripture; not just for verses that prove the viewpoint you hold anyway. Just read and ask the Lord to help you to truly understand. And who knows? You might not change anyone else’s mind, but maybe you yourself could one day achieve the honor of being like the open-minded Panamese.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea- sounds like just what we were talking about;) I really appreciate you EXTRAORDINARY vocabulary.

    H.C.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.... I just wanted to tell you haw much I love your music! It makes to blog- it just does.

    H.C.O

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I like to hear what you guys have to say! Even if you don't really have anything to say, say it. Here are some suggestions in case you are really stuck:
"I love this post and I will send you a thousand dollars as soon as I learn your address."
"I hate this post and I hate you for writing it."
"I like your blog, but your obsession with Jack Bauer is mildly disturbing."