Monday, November 1, 2010

'Tis the Season!

     Oh. My. Goodness. Do you know what today is? Guess! Guessguessguessguessguess!!!! Why, it’s the first of November!! Guess why it’s special.

     Because ‘TIS THE SEASON FOR CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!!

     It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

     I realize it's slightly premature, but this is just one of the million billion gazillion reasons why I just love my life! Isn’t it just amazing how the icy blasts and frigid storms of winter can be just as incredibly awesome as summertime? In summer, it’s different. You’re wearing shorts and sandals and the grass is green and you don’t have time to eat because you’re too busy running around and just plain having a blast. Volleyball and roller skates and swimming pools! The sun sets later and the stars are bigger and brighter. And then it gets cold. It’s sad because you feel like you were just starting to have a good time and now it’s lost. The shining sapphire sky is replaced by a dull mist that isn’t really any color, but you call it grey. The freedom of your summer wardrobe is smothered under layers and layers of flannel and wool. Gone are the bare feet and glasses of ice-cold lemonade. The birdsong is muted under the cold blanket of grey. And right in the middle of the depression… you look around… and remember.

     Icicles!

     Snowmen!

     Snowballs!

     Christmas!

     The laughing, carefree spirit of summer is gone, but the white magic of winter has taken its place. Visions of sugarplums! The sun sets earlier, but the sun doesn’t really shine out as mightily as it did anyway. It’s not so bad, really. You put on your jeans and fluffy socks and swap the ice-cold lemonade for hot chocolate with marshmallows. You trade your flip-flops for snow boots and your sunglasses for a scarf. You can curl up in about eight layers of quilts and read your favorite book. And you can look outside and see the silent snowflakes come drifting lazily down. Comfort. That’s what I like about winter.

     And food!

     ‘Tis the season for chocolate! I don’t know what it is about winter, but chocolate seems less a dessert than it is a necessity. In winter, you don’t just appreciate chocolate; you ADORE it. And you can have soup in winter! Hot, steaming soup that burns your tongue and warms you to the very tips of your toes. Turkeys and roast beef and mashed potatoes! Because before Christmas can whirl in in all its frosty glory, we must first have Thanksgiving! Family and friends and food. My three favorite things. Thanksgiving is the best because you don’t just say you’re thankful for what you have; you get a warm, fuzzy feeling of cozy gratitude. You can look around, and you’re in a safe, warm house with your family all grouped around and your dog sleeping on the rug. You’ve got tasty food all settled in your stomach, and you remember the warmth of summer. You remember the good times of shorts and sunglasses, but not like you want to go back. Thank you, God, for memories of summer and the magic of winter!

     Because I’m dreaming of winter… frosty, frigid winter with flannel pajamas and toasty quilts and a quiet fireplace… Christmas trees at night, with the faint, enchanting lights illuminating the glass baubles and sparkling tinsel and dangling figurines of holiday ballerinas…. Crimson and green, holly and mistletoe, silver and gold….

     I’m dreaming of a white Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Sooo, I saw Christmas decorations, when driving through town, aaand I thought of you...

    I heard Christmas music while in Kohl's, aaand I thought of you....
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on, did I not comment on this? Anyhow, l.o.v.e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me soooooo excited about the season! I'm thinking....... MAGICAL!

    H.C.O

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I like to hear what you guys have to say! Even if you don't really have anything to say, say it. Here are some suggestions in case you are really stuck:
"I love this post and I will send you a thousand dollars as soon as I learn your address."
"I hate this post and I hate you for writing it."
"I like your blog, but your obsession with Jack Bauer is mildly disturbing."