Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vigil

Twilight on a lonely pier
The silent skies of grey
A single gull
Stands motionless
And looks across the bay

Last night, as well the night before,
He kept her company
A little girl
Who waited there
And stared out to the sea

Expressionless and waiting
For a ship that never came
So many others
Landed there
But none was quite the same

So many nights spent silently
No sigh escaped her lips
She never spoke
A single word
But gazed upon the ships

Tonight the gull is all alone
For she will come no more
The memory of
Her silent watch
A ghost upon the shore

The seagull spreads his black-tipped wings
And soars into the sky
And disappears
Into the grey
A final mournful cry


~ © Andrea Grace

4 comments:

  1. love, love, love,
    and more love!

    Now I realize that this is actually how the graph goes:

    .......x......................
    ...../...\.....................
    ..../.....\....................
    .x/.......\...................
    ............\..................
    .............\.................
    ..............\................
    ...............\...............
    ................\..............
    .................\x..........
    .....................\.........
    ......................\........
    .......................\x....
    ...........................\x

    etc...
    hehe.
    We are so arrogant... and thoughtful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's this stuff about a graph? I'm so curious to know! It's like you have a secret I don't know about.....or a conversation I'm not in on. And, how are you being arrogant?

    Just pulling your chain... hehehe! So fun to make fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far my favorite ever. Eeever. I really love it. It makes me sad and ponder. ... So, where was the boat going to take her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Amy, I love being arrogant and thoughtful with you. :-)
    I'll have to tell you about the graph sometime, Hannah. It's arrogant. ;-)
    Well, Rachel. As the poet, I should probably say something aggravating like " interpret it however you want.." But I won't. The way I pictured it, she was waiting for her daddy to come home from sea, but he never will. But that's really tragic! So... The ship can take her wherever you want it to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I like to hear what you guys have to say! Even if you don't really have anything to say, say it. Here are some suggestions in case you are really stuck:
"I love this post and I will send you a thousand dollars as soon as I learn your address."
"I hate this post and I hate you for writing it."
"I like your blog, but your obsession with Jack Bauer is mildly disturbing."